We know preparing your child to enter the real world is an intimidating task. Taxes, insurance, credit, debt—how are you supposed to teach kids about these complicated and confusing topics when most people barely understand them themselves?
To make matters worse, only a handful of states require students to take a stand-alone course in personal finance before graduation. But it’s so important that teens learn how to make smart decisions with their money. That’s why we’ve taken Foundations in Personal Finance—a personal finance curriculum that has helped nearly 5 million students learn to handle money the right way—and put it in a fully digital online format for students who aren’t able to take the class at their school.
With auto-graded assessments, engaging video content, and best of all, no need for an instructor, this self-paced online course can easily fit into even the busiest of schedules. Dave Ramsey and his team of experts will do all the teaching, and you can have peace of mind about your child’s financial future.
How It Works:
Once you purchase the curriculum, you’ll receive a link and a unique online voucher code. Follow the instructions on the email to register. You’ll have access to the online course for one year beginning when the voucher code is first redeemed.
If I have multiple children can they all use the same copy of the curriculum?
The Self-Study edition of the curriculum is intended for one student as the assessments included in the course can only be completed once.
- Fully digital content—all you need is a computer or tablet and internet access
- Stand-alone chapters that can be used in any order
- Access to foundationsU, our blended learning site with additional tools and activities
Here's What People Are Saying
This curriculum has changed how our whole family views finances. My teenage boys have an emergency fund, have paid cash for their first vehicles, are saving for college and are debt free. Every high school student should be required to take this class. It's excellent!
This is a fantastic program and my 14-year-old son loves it! He does a unit/section every Friday and does so happily. I would encourage anyone to buy this curriculum without hesitation.
This is a high quality, very educational program this is also both engaging and entertaining. The content is age-appropriate, yet way ahead of their years, in teaching about ALL matters of personal finance and awareness and self-accountability and responsibility. I can't recommend this curriculum enough, students and parents alike will benefit from this!
Customer Ratings and Reviews
Number of Assessments: 121
Number of Chapters: 12
Certificate of Achievement: Yes
Hours of Video: 12
Approximate Time Needed to Complete the Course: 50-60 hours
Applicable for School Credit: We provide educational content. We do not provide course credit; however, you may submit a request for course credit to your teen’s school or education system. Once your teen completes the course in its entirety, you may email email@example.com to request a certificate of completion. Please allow 2-3 business days for delivery of the certificate. The awarding of course credit is at the school’s or education system’s discretion.
- Chapter 1: Introduction to Personal Finance
- Introduces the topic of personal finance, explores the evolution of the American credit industry, and highlights the importance of both knowledge and behavior when it comes to managing money.
- Chapter 2: Saving
- Emphasizes the importance of saving and explains the three reasons to save: emergencies, large purchases, and wealth building.
- Chapter 3: Budgeting
- Explores the purpose and process of writing a budget and the basics of banking, including balancing and reconciling a checking account.
- Chapter 4: Debt
- Identifies the devastating costs of using debt as a financial tool, debunks credit myths, explains the elements of a credit score, identifies organizations that maintain consumer credit records, and summarizes major consumer credit laws.
- Chapter 5: Life After High School
- Explores 21st Century post-secondary education and career options, highlights the importance of avoiding debt as a young adult, and explains how to cash flow a college education.
- Chapter 6: Consumer Awareness
- Identifies factors that influence consumer behavior and the effect of inflation on buying power.
- Chapter 7: Bargain Shopping
- Highlights the importance of bargain shopping as part of a healthy financial plan and identifies important negotiation strategies.
- Chapter 8: Investing and Retirement
- Establishes basic investing guidelines, describes and compares various types of investments, and identifies elements of employer benefits and retirement plans.
- Chapter 9: Insurance
- Identifies the purpose of financial risk management as well as the appropriate and most cost-effective risk management strategies.
- Chapter 10: Money and Relationships
- Identifies the differences among people's values and attitudes as they relate to money and highlights communication strategies for discussing financial issues.
- Chapter 11: Careers and Taxes
- Examines the importance of pursuing a career in line with your strengths, the elements of effective goal setting, the best practices of successful people, and types of income and taxes.
- Chapter 12: Giving
- Highlights the importance of giving of your time, talents, and money in order to serve others and leave a lasting legacy.
- Chapter 13: Global Economics
- Explains and examines the differences between various economic systems, movement of goods and services, supply and demand, chain of production, gross domestic product and the impact of scarcity and rationing.
You May Also Like
Will the student be provided with a certificate for completing the course?
How is this different from the Homeschool Edition of the curriculum?
Are there assessments?
I have multiple children. Can they all use the same copy of the curriculum?
How long do I have to activate my course?
Shipping & Delivery
Online Access Code
When you purchase a voucher item, you'll receive an email after completing your order. In this email you'll be provided both a link and a unique online access code. To access your product, click on the link and enter your unique voucher code when prompted.