2 Minute Read
Americans just aren't saving enough for retirement. Worse yet, many people save barely enough to cover the first few years of their retirement. As a result, a lot of people will have to rethink their dreams of retiring on a sunny beach. Are you one of them?
There's a quick way to find out that's actually fun, too. Use our investment calculator to see if you'll have enough money—according to your current habits—to retire the way you want.
How to Use It
- Click here to launch the calculator.
- In the left-hand column, enter your starting balance (how much you have already saved in your 401(k), IRA, etc.).
- Enter your annual rate of return (the average interest your investment pays you every year).
- If you contribute money to your investment every month, enter that amount next. Then enter how many years you plan to make that contribution.
- Enter the number of years until you hope to retire (example: if you're 35, type in 30 if you want to retire when you're 65).
- Click "Calculate."
How to Read the Results
The graph in the calculator shows you a graphical breakdown of how your investment grows over the years. Move your mouse over the different parts of the graph to see the results for a particular year. The area below the graph shows you, in numbers, how much your investment will be worth, the total interest the investment pays, the total you contributed, and the year you'll become a millionaire.
Understand & Own Your Investing Future
There are other cool little features the calculator has, so be sure to play around with it.
So What Now?
In order to retire comfortably, most people will need at least $350,000. Do your results show that you'll have enough to live the good life after retirement? If not, start saving more and start right now! The sooner you begin, the more money you can make.
Find an investment professional in your city who can help you reach your retirement goals.