Check out these four tricks used to get you to spend more (without you knowing it).
4 Minute Read
The lazy days of summer have finally arrived! But if you’ve got a home to sell, there’s no time for lounging around the pool. You’ve got work to do!
Here are four simple ways to get top dollar for your home before school’s back in session.
1. Play Hide and Seek With Home Issues
It’s time to tell unsuspecting home issues to “Come out, come out wherever you are!” The best way to do that is to get a pre-list home inspection.
Local experts you can trust.Find an ELP
True, your soon-to-be buyer will have an inspection done too. So what’s the point of shelling out $400 to hire your own inspector? It gives you a chance to deal with any ugly secrets before they sink your home deal.
Don’t be surprised if the home inspector hands over a long list of findings. You don’t have to tackle it all. Work with your real estate agent to decide what’s worth the fix now and what can wait.
2. Give Your Home a Sunny Disposition
‘Tis the season for sunshine and warm weather! So why not show buyers just how enjoyable your home can be this time of year? Here are a few ideas to help you set a summer stage:
- Send clutter on vacation. Give buyers—and their imaginations—room to breathe by creating loads of open space. No surface, closet or corner should be spared!
- Bring the outdoors in. Place vases of garden blooms—or bowls of fresh fruit—in every room. Fill your home with natural light by throwing curtains and blinds wide open.
- Add seasonal flair. Keep base colors neutral, but cheer things up with a few bright accents. Think beachy or nautical themes. Just don’t overdo the décor.
- Dress up outdoor spaces. Summer living happens outside! So dust off porch and patio furniture, and punch things up with colorful pillows and table settings. Make sure your yard sets a lush but trim backdrop.
- Create a cool-down zone. Welcome buyers in from the heat with a refreshing glass of lemonade and a full blast of A/C. You just might give them the perfect reason to stay!
3. Woo Buyers Fair and Square
Your home may look straight out of HGTV. But if it’s overpriced, buyers won’t even step foot onto your curb. Why? Because buyers don’t care how hard you worked—or how much dough you spent—to get your home picture-perfect. They just want a good deal on a great home.
Of course, you don’t want to give your home away to the first buyer either. The secret is finding the magic number that enables you to make the most money in the least amount of time.
You May Also Like
So how do you strike the right balance? Ask a real estate agent you trust for a free comparative market analysis (CMA). A CMA stacks your home up against others that have sold near you in recent months. That way you can see what buyers are actually willing to pay for a home like yours and set a price that everyone considers fair.
4. Build a Winning Team
Selling a home is stressful enough without juggling everything on your own. Get the job done with some good old-fashioned teamwork!
A good real estate agent does the heavy lifting, but knows you still call the shots. You want a pro with a winning record on and off the field. That means they have a proven track record for sales and a reputation for treating customers like MVPs.
With the right agent by your side, you’ll have your home sold before summer is through. Looking for a pro you can trust? We can introduce you to the top real estate agents Dave recommends in your area.
This article is part of our monthly Real Estate Minute newsletter. Want awesome content like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up at daveramsey.com/newsletters—it's free!