Saving money at the pump is something we are all striving to do these days. Here are some ways to help do it:
- Don't carry a lot of stuff in your trunk. The more weight you have in the trunk, the harder the engine has to work to move it and the more gas it uses.
- Don't make fast turns or sudden stops. Again, that's making the engine work harder.
- Leave earlier so you can drive slower. If you drive 55 miles an hour instead of 65, that can save you 2 miles a gallon. That adds up!
- Combine your errands. Don't make a special trip out to the grocery store to get some milk when you can just pick it up on the way home from work. If you have errands that are piling up, then write them down and take care of them when returning from work.
- Keep your left foot off the brake. It will create drag, make the engine work harder, and wear out the brakes.
Extra Tips for the Car
- Don't warm your car up for more than two minutes. It will be warm enough by that point to where you can drive slow and warm it up the rest of the way. Letting it linger too long will use up gas.
- Keep the tires inflated, the engine tuned up and the oil changed. A car in good working order does better on the road.
- It may be tempting, but don't top off the gas tank when filling up. It may seep out as you drive around.
- Use the air conditioner when you are in the highway, but open the windows when the traffic stops and goes.
- Join a carpool if you can. Driving with just one extra person cuts your fuel consumption in half.
- Pay for gas with cash. Some gas stations even offer discounts if you do this, but it can help you budget as well. Seeing the cash in a gas envelope go down has a bigger impact than a needle on a dashboard. It will remind you to drive more conservatively.
These tips can really help you, but the most important part is that you take a good look at how you spend money. Saving at the pump doesn't mean much if you don't combine it with being responsible with money in other areas. If you commit to living on less and couple that with finding deals and making your money go farther, then you will really start to see a difference with your money!
Learn how you can drive free cars for life!