debt

3 Ways to Erase the Negativity Weighing You Down

4 Minute Read

If you cringe every time you get a bill in the mail or you break out in hives whenever you think about reconciling your checking account, you aren’t alone. Studies have shown that money is the number one source of stress for Americans these days. In fact, some people are so worried about their finances that they are skipping doctor’s visits to save a few bucks. But that just puts us on the fast track to a nasty downward spiral.

When you’re swimming in debt or living paycheck to paycheck, the stress, fear and shame are very real. You might not be sleeping well. You might be fighting with your spouse or loved ones. You might feel like the world is against you. Or, you might just feel like you’re never going to get ahead.

We get it. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! You can tell your money where to go and you can transform your life. You just need to put a few simple practices in place and then stay gazelle intense. Here are three things you can do to kick those bad feelings to the curb and turn your finances around—once and for all.

color

Local experts you can trust.

Find an ELP

You can tell your money where to go and you can transform your life.

1. Sign up for Financial Peace University.

Financial Peace University is a course that teaches you how to win with money. It gives you a plan to get debt out of your life and take control of your finances. The best part is that once you buy a membership, you’re a member for life. You can take the class as many times as you want! So even if you’ve taken the class before but feel like you need a refresher, you can sign up and take it again—at no additional cost. It truly is the best way to make a plan for your money and go after your dreams with gazelle intensity.

Related: Check out Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University.

2. Create a budget.

It’s okay if the thought of making a budget makes you a little squirmy, but here’s the deal: You can’t just stare at the wound and expect it to magically go away. You have to stop the bleeding! The only way you’re going to do that is by making a plan.

Create a zero-based budget, which is where you give every single dollar a specific place to go. Then follow through with your plan. This is going to help you kick the fear in the teeth because you’re actively doing something to fix the problem. Don’t be discouraged if it takes some time to find your budgeting rhythm. It takes most people about three months to get this right.

Related: For an easy way to budget at your computer and on your phone, check out our free budget software, EveryDollar.

3. Dream about the future.

Believe it or not, dreaming is one of the best things you can do when you feel like you’re knee-deep in debt. Focus on what life could look like once you shed the weight of debt. Write your dreams down on paper. Stick it somewhere you can see it every day. If your dream is to travel the world, print out pictures of some of the places you want to go. Tape the photos to your bathroom mirror or stick them on your fridge. Whatever your dream is, create visuals to remind you of your goal.

Getting excited about the future will keep you motivated, which will help you pay off your debt faster than ever.

Getting excited about the future will keep you motivated, which will help you pay off your debt faster than ever.

Related: Retirement isn’t an age. It’s a financial number. Figure yours out today with Chris Hogan’s Retire Inspired Quotient (R:IQ).

The most important thing to remember when you’re feeling discouraged about your finances is that you have the power to turn things around. Personal finance is only 20% head knowledge; the other 80% is behavior. If you get the tools you need, develop a few new habits, and stay inspired, you can say a final farewell to the stress, fear and shame that have been weighing you down.

Don’t let negativity be an excuse that prevents you from living the life you’re called to live.

Don’t let negativity be an excuse that prevents you from living the life you’re called to live.

Ready to erase the negativity in your life? Click here to become a Financial Peace University member and change your discouragement into hope.

More from the Blog

Pay Cash For Christmas? You Can!

Start Today!

Learn to Beat Debt

See More
Financial Peace University Kit

Take Control of Your Money!

The best way to get out of debt and take control of your money is to make a plan! Financial Peace University is that plan!

Find a Class Back to Article Learn More

Thank You!

A confirmation email is on its way to !

Next: Learn to Beat Debt