Interrupter CheckmarkInterrupter IconFacebookGoogle PlusInstagramGroupRamsey SolutionsTwitterYouTubeExpand MenuStoreCloseSearchExpand MenuBackStoreSign in

Ask Dave

Taking Care Of Special Needs

Christine isn't sure of what to take care of for her special needs daughter, but she does after hearing Dave.

QUESTION: Christine wants to get a will for her 17-year-old special-needs daughter. She can’t get work, and Christine wants to know how they can set up guardianship for her. This one is a bit complicated, but not for Dave.

ANSWER: As far as a will goes, you assign a guardian to the child, and there is a special needs trust that can be set up and assigned to her. You leave money in that trust to care for her under the direction of a trustee. You can direct the trustee to invest the money however you see fit. I would invest in mutual funds with good long-term track records. Upon your death, you fund that trust with the money you leave at your death. Until you have that cash in place, have term life insurance.