Interrupter CheckmarkInterrupter IconFacebookGoogle PlusInstagramGroupRamsey SolutionsTwitterYouTubeExpand MenuStoreCloseSearchExpand MenuBackStoreSign in

Ask Dave

How Do I Roll Over My 401(k)?

Bob needs to do a direct transfer rollover of his 401k to an IRA since he just lost his job.

QUESTION: Bob asks what to do with his 401k since he just lost his job.

ANSWER: Do a direct transfer rollover to an IRA invested in good growth-stock mutual funds. Make sure the company sends it directly to your new IRA and to not get a check from the company; if that happens they’ll withhold on that and that’s bad.