Interrupter CheckmarkInterrupter IconFacebookGoogle PlusInstagramGroupRamsey SolutionsTwitterYouTubeExpand MenuStoreCloseSearchExpand MenuBackStoreSign in

Ask Dave

Investing To Reduce Taxes

Sam wants to lower the amount he owes in taxes. Should he do it by way of a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA?

QUESTION: Sam is 66 and planned to retire last year. He now owes $2,700 in taxes and wonders if he can still contribute to an IRA to reduce that?

ANSWER: You can, but I wouldn’t. You won’t save as much in a traditional IRA. I’d stick with a Roth IRA. If you’re going to invest, then invest in a Roth IRA. Don’t do it just for tax purposes, though. Tax savings is just the icing on the cake.