Interrupter CheckmarkInterrupter IconFacebookGoogle PlusInstagramGroupRamsey SolutionsTwitterYouTubeExpand MenuStoreCloseSearchExpand MenuBackStoreSign in

Ask Dave

Find Him And Quit-Claim Him

Laura can't find her boyfriend, and she has an urgent house matter to take care of with him.

QUESTION: Laura bought a house with her boyfriend a few years ago. She can’t refinance it or do anything without him and she can’t find him. Her house payment is $1250 and her income is $48,000. Dave thinks she might have to get a private eye involved here, and get a quit-claim deed.

ANSWER: I would spend $500 and hire a private investigator to find him. You need to find him. You can’t afford the house … your house payment is 40% of your take-home pay. You can’t afford a house payment of about $800, and you need to have a life other than just a house. Have an attorney prepare a quit-claim deed, where he quits claiming the house and deeds it over to you. Then find him and have him signed it. Then sell this house and get it out of your life.

Thank you! Your guide is on its way!

Want to Buy a House With Confidence?

Want to Buy a House With Confidence and Peace of Mind?

Want to Buy a House With Confidence and Peace of Mind?