Interrupter CheckmarkInterrupter IconFacebookGoogle PlusInstagramGroupRamsey SolutionsTwitterYouTubeExpand MenuStoreCloseSearchExpand MenuBackStoreSign in

Ask Dave

Collectors Are Harassing

If you've been the victim of identity theft by a family member, call the fraud victim division of the credit card company and file a police report.

QUESTION: Stephanie’s parents are victims of identity theft by a family member. The collectors won’t leave them alone on bills they didn’t run up. How can they deal with this? Get in touch with the fraud services division is a start, says Dave.

ANSWER: Call the credit card company and ask for the fraud victim division. They will have to file a police report stating who the family member was who stole the identity. That family member can be prosecuted, and they should be. They stole money from the bank. Usually if the family member pays it off, they won’t go to jail.