FOUNDATIONS in PERSONAL FINANCE
Standards and Benchmarks
Foundations in Personal Finance meets the national standards developed and written by the Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, as well as personal finance standards and benchmarks at each state level. Click on your state for a correlation.
Foundations in Personal
Finance matches up with your state's standards and
Viewing the State Standards requires the free
Financial Responsibility and Decision Making
Apply reliable information and systematic decision
making to personal financial decisions.
- Take responsibility for personal financial decisions.
- Find and evaluate financial information from a variety of
- Summarize major consumer protection laws.
- Make financial decisions by systematically considering
alternatives and consequences.
Income and Careers
Use a career plan to develop personal income
- Explore career options.
- Identify sources of personal income.
- Describe factors affecting take-home pay.
Planning and Money Management:
Organize personal finances and use a budget to manage
- Develop a plan for spending and saving.
- Develop a system for keeping and using financial
- Describe how to use different payment methods.
- Apply consumer skills to purchase decisions.
- Consider charitable giving.
- Develop a personal financial plan.
Credit and Debt:
Maintain credit-worthiness, borrow at favorable
terms, and manage debt.
- Identify the costs and benefits of various types of
- Explain the purpose of a credit record and identify
borrowers' credit report rights.
- Describe ways to avoid or correct debt problems.
- Summarize major consumer credit laws.
Risk Management and Insurance:
Use appropriate and cost-effective risk management
- Identify common types of risks and basic risk management
- Explain the purpose and importance of property and
liability insurance protection.
- Explain the purpose and importance of health, disability
and life insurance protection.
Saving and Investing:
Implement a diversified investment strategy that is
compatible with personal goals.
- Discuss how saving contributes to financial
- Explain how investing builds wealth and helps meet
- Evaluate investment alternatives.
- Describe how to buy and sell investments.
- Explain how taxes affect the rate of return on
- Investigate how agencies that regulate financial markets