Frequently Asked Questions:
Why don't you simply give me a list of ELPs instead of asking me for my personal information?
Excellent question and one we get often. First, we do not share your contact information with anyone other than the ELP. Second, by giving us your contact information, we are able to ensure that you receive the highest level of customer service. In the rare occasion that a problem arises, we can verify which ELP you are working with and hold them accountable. Your information also lets us know which areas need additional ELPs to help meet the
needs of Dave fans.
Why do you have an ELP program for some things like investing but have national advertisers for other things like term life insurance?
Good question. We use national advertisers for products and services when the product or service can be delivered to the entire country from one national office without compromising quality. For other products or services, where a listener may have a strong preference to work with someone local, we apply the ELP concept of having a local professional in every radio affiliate city.
Why only five ELP categories? I would like to suggest a new ELP category.
The original ELP program began with investing to help listeners find local professionals. By popular demand, we added ELP categories for finding real estate agents, insurance agents and tax professionals. As our radio affiliate list continues to grow, adding new categories becomes a very difficult task. Today, with more than 500 radio affiliates, what was once a one person job now requires a staff of over 30 people.
We currently do not have any plans to add additional ELP categories. Our focus is to do an excellent job for listeners seeking an ELP. However, this does not mean we will not add new ELP categories at some point.
Do ELPs pay a fee?
Yes. For ELPs, the program is a form of local advertising. It’s a way for them to attract clients who love The Dave Ramsey Show just like they do. We use the fees to fund the large staff and technology required to operate the ELP program.
How do you select your ELPs?
We are always accepting applications for the ELP program. When there is a new opportunity in an area, we will contact the applicants and interview them to determine if they have the qualifications we seek. We look for professionals who meet the following requirements:
- Have the heart of a teacher
- Put the client’s needs first
- Have proper licensing – active license and in good standing
- Agree to help clients based on Dave Ramsey’s principles
Each ELP program has additional requirements appropriate to those professions.
Tax Professional ELP:
- Willing to serve every level of investor
- Must be in good standing with FINRA
- Has a proven history in investing
- CPA or Enrolled Agent who can give wise advice on tax issues, prepare taxes, bookkeeping, personal business accounting, etc. Basically help listeners regardless of tax complexity.
- Focus on individual, family and small business clients
- Maintain all continuing education requirements
Real Estate ELP:
- Independent Insurance Agent actively marketing policies from multiple carriers.
- Actively marketing major medical PPO's, HMO's, and HSA's
- Insurance sales must be a primary source of income (not a part-time job)
- Must be licensed and practicing real estate full time for at least 5 years
- Must be a high producer in their particular market (our agents typically do 40-120 transactions a year)
- Must have the heart of a teacher and be willing to take time with clients to explain the process
- Must be committed to service (i.e. will return phone calls promptly, show the house, advertise it properly, etc..) and have a record of demonstrating this service over time
- Must be willing to provide real estate advice based on Dave Ramsey’s principles
- Must be willing to work with anyone, regardless of financial position
By having fewer ELPs, we are able to know them better and develop higher levels of trust. In most cases, we only have one ELP for each ELP category in an area. The exceptions to this are:
- In the real estate ELP program. The nature of that business demands more than one ELP.
- In larger cities. In such cases, each ELP serves an exclusive part of the city. For example, we may have four investing ELPs in Atlanta but each of the four serves different parts of the city.
I want to become an ELP but your staff told me there is already an ELP in the area. Why only one?
Many of our ELP relationships have not changed since the program began and we encourage this. Long term relationships are very valuable to us when it comes to taking care of our listeners. However, we do maintain a list of all past applicants in case a new opportunity opens in the area.
tell me more
Why Use an ELP?
We've made sure our ELPs really do have the heart of a teacher and provide top-notch customer service.